Saturday, May 5, 2012

Thoughts on the trip

The trip this far has been absolutely amazing. Everything that we have done has been a tremendous experience and has had a huge impact on me already. Munich was fantastic and everything there was a lot of fun. The walking tour of Munich was great, and I learned a lot of history that I didn't know before. It was incredible to actually be in the same building and office as Hitler and so many other famous historical figures. Seeing the photographs of Hitler in the same office sent chills down my spine because we could actually see where he stood which was right in front of where we were sitting. After the walking tour, the Hofbrauhaus was a great meal, and of course, the beer was delicious as well. As everyone has mentioned so far, the experience at Dachau was horrific, but one that will stay with me for the rest of my life. I wasn't aware that it was the first concentration camp and the one that all others were modeled after. I had to separate myself from other people for most of the tour just to take it all in. It was almost overwhelming how much death occurred there and it was hard to wrap my head around everything that happened. Neuschwanstein has been my favorite part of the trip so far. I absolutely love that castle and the views around it are all spectacular. I don't think one could find a bad photo opportunity if they tried, it is just incredible. Innsbruck was very nice as well, and I really want to go back someday to spend more time in the city and experiencing everything it has to offer. As of now, I am looking forward to the trek into Italy and learning more about the affiliation the places we're going have with WWII and the Nazis. It has been a great experience so far, and it will only get better from here!

Eric McCurdie

No comments:

Post a Comment